some birds are funny when they talk
corner



Fellows:

Aijung
Alyssa
Angela
Bobby
Carla
Dave
Ester
Jesse
Jonah
Josie
Kate
Lillie
Nori
Rabi
Rebecca

Mincetapes

e-mince

Photos!

Nice

Archives:

Stuck in my Head
"Kiss Me Harder" by Bertine Zetlitz
"Hot" by Avril
"Brain Problem Situation" by They Might Be Giants


Now Reading
Number 9 Dream by David Mitchell
Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage by Alice Munro

Recently Finished
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by David Eggers
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
Mad Tony and Me by Carl Hoffman
Sweet Soul Music by Peter Guaralnick
This Must Be The Place: Adventures of Talking Heads in the 20th Century by David Bowman
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Movies Lately
Sicko
4 Months 3 Weeks 2 Days
Oscar Nominated Animated Shorts
Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour
2 Days in Paris
United 93
The Savages
The Bourne Ultimatum
Sweeney Todd
The Departed
Juno
Enchanted
What Would Jesus Buy?
Ghost World
Superbad
I'm Not There
She's The Man
Superbad
Lars and the Real Girl
Romance and Cigarettes
No Country for Old Men
Into the Wild
Gattaca
I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With
Across the Universe

Shows Lately
Damo Suzuki/Stinking Lizaveta @ Mill Creek
Death and the Maiden @ Curio
Devon Sproule/Carsie Blanton/Devin Greenwood/John Francis @ Tin Angel
Assassins @ The Arden
Oakley Hall and the Teeth @ Johnny Brendas
Isabella and Flamingo/Winnebago and Map Me and Gatz and Songs of the Dragons Flying to Heaven and Sonic Dances and Strawberry Farm and The Emperor Jones and No Dice and Hearts of Man and Principles of Uncertainty and Isabella and BATCH and Addicted to Bad Ideas: Peter Lorre's 20th Century and Car and Sports Trilogy and Explanatorium and Wandering Alice and Must Don't Whip Um and Festival of Lies and A Room of Ones Own and Recitatif @ the Philadelphia Live Arts Festival/Philly Fringe
Martha Graham Cracker and Eliot Levin and Kilo etc. @ the Fringe Cabaret
Lullatone and Teletextile @ Boulder Coffee [Rochester]
TV Sound @ the M Room
Aretha Franklin @ East Dell, Fairmount Pk.
Romeo + Juliet in Clark Park
Daft Punk @ Red Rocks
Spoon @ Rockefeller Park
Ponytail at Pony Pants' House
Mirah/Benjy Ferree @ the 1UC
Tortoise @ World Cafe Live
Hall & Oates...ish
"Nuclear Dreams" - Mascher Dance Group, x2
The Four of Us @ 1812
Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines by Rainpan whatever
Mascher Dance Group/Nathaniel Bartlett
Cornelius @ TLA
Sloan @ World Cafe
In Fluxxxx
Slavic Soul Party!/Red Heart the Ticker @ I-House
the Fantasticks @ Mum
Peter Bjork + Jorn/Fujiya + Miyagi @ fkaTLA
John Vanderslice @ Johnny Brendas
The Books & Todd Reynolds @ 1UC
Into the Woods @ LPAC
The Fishbowl @ the Frear
Caroline, or, Change @ the Arden
Low & Loney, Dear. @ 1UC




Saturday, October 20

Thursday 18 October

Sunny this time, but still cold, we decided to leave in the early afternoon, once we had laundered, dished, swept, straightened, thrown out some soup, signed the guest book, carried wood, etc. like good little boys and girls. We also had time to walk around the island and to go for a brief paddle down the river, with Ben in the stern, and the headwind on the return threatening to freeze my fingers off. The visit was short, but it didn't feel overly so, especially since the weather made it hard to do much outside. I am determined to get a larger group up there over winter break.

The ride home started off uncertainly, but once Ben got some air in the tires he cheered up and we listened to "Crooked Rain", his eclectic "Parisian" mix, Jill Sobule, Ellington, the New Deal, Joni. I read the end of "Sotweed" and much of "Celia, a Slave." The only major stop was at "The Meat Store of the North," where Ben had the staff in a flurry looking for a souvenir and Ester and I got sammiches. When it got too dark to read we played the rhyming words game, then "Famous People" (Scooby-doo, Gilda), then "the cliff game" aka "breakfast lunch dinner" aka "housebox" aka character assassination. It was determined that Ester would rather marry Ani DiFranco than anyone in the world. Ben snapped at me a few times for teasing Ester or being a culture snob, which maybe I deserve, I don't know, but it sort of seems like he's just being protective and unreasonable, or even self-righteous and in any case I wish he would chill out a bit. It's not a major issue, but it makes me feel uncertain about myself or his opinion of me. Not that I doubt our friendship or anything. I'll say something to him about it, although of course he'll already have read this. Whatever.

He mentioned in his journal that he and Ester have been calling each other "Darling" and "Honey" a lot, which is very true now that I think about it, but I didn't even really notice it that much. As he says, it isn't annoying at all. I liked being with them for so much time. They're such a wonderful couple; it didn't make me unhappy or anything, just a little nostalgic maybe. On Wednesday night, all in our underwear, we discussed "our biggest problems." They correctly addressed theirs - difficulty with stress and unwillingness to dance - and we talked about my situation some more. They argued that I should stop what Jess called "the kicking" with Liza for various practical and moral reasons, some more valid than others; we talked about the nature of guilt and whose behalf I should consider first on making decisions. But nobody asked me (as I think nobody has yet) what I want to do. Perhaps it seemed apparent, since I was playing devils-advocate, but I had been growing more and more skeptical about continuing kicking it. As I told Ester about a month ago, I don't really want to be in a relationship this semester, with the exception of the one I'm in. The reason that I was thinking of continuing it, I realized, was more for Liza's sake than my own: it's what she wants, or at least claims to, despite the cost.

We pulled into Seven Bridges once more at around nine, and as Ben watched the Yanks with his Padre, I made arrangements with DeDe for some jazz-at-noonage the next day, complained to Ester about Celia (the topic is interesting, but the writing is preposterously speculative and dry, and Melton - is that a he or a she? - insists on including every possible historical detail even if it has nothing to do with the narrative), and met the marathoner. Later we went out again, sneaking through Ben's mom's dark house to a small room with two computers and a beat junkies CD. A stream of e-mails brought good news - Avalanches on the way; Kokrabi Lobi, of all people, coming to Swarthmore; two e-mails from Alyssa, more on which later. Ester and Ben updated, but I was too tired and overcome by cat-dander. I slept in a real bed back at Igor's, one I didn't want to wake up from.