some birds are funny when they talk
corner



Fellows:

Aijung
Alyssa
Angela
Bobby
Carla
Dave
Ester
Jesse
Jonah
Josie
Kate
Lillie
Nori
Rabi
Rebecca

Mincetapes

e-mince

Photos!

Nice

Archives:

Stuck in my Head
"Kiss Me Harder" by Bertine Zetlitz
"Hot" by Avril
"Brain Problem Situation" by They Might Be Giants


Now Reading
Number 9 Dream by David Mitchell
Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage by Alice Munro

Recently Finished
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by David Eggers
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
Mad Tony and Me by Carl Hoffman
Sweet Soul Music by Peter Guaralnick
This Must Be The Place: Adventures of Talking Heads in the 20th Century by David Bowman
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Movies Lately
Sicko
4 Months 3 Weeks 2 Days
Oscar Nominated Animated Shorts
Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour
2 Days in Paris
United 93
The Savages
The Bourne Ultimatum
Sweeney Todd
The Departed
Juno
Enchanted
What Would Jesus Buy?
Ghost World
Superbad
I'm Not There
She's The Man
Superbad
Lars and the Real Girl
Romance and Cigarettes
No Country for Old Men
Into the Wild
Gattaca
I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With
Across the Universe

Shows Lately
Damo Suzuki/Stinking Lizaveta @ Mill Creek
Death and the Maiden @ Curio
Devon Sproule/Carsie Blanton/Devin Greenwood/John Francis @ Tin Angel
Assassins @ The Arden
Oakley Hall and the Teeth @ Johnny Brendas
Isabella and Flamingo/Winnebago and Map Me and Gatz and Songs of the Dragons Flying to Heaven and Sonic Dances and Strawberry Farm and The Emperor Jones and No Dice and Hearts of Man and Principles of Uncertainty and Isabella and BATCH and Addicted to Bad Ideas: Peter Lorre's 20th Century and Car and Sports Trilogy and Explanatorium and Wandering Alice and Must Don't Whip Um and Festival of Lies and A Room of Ones Own and Recitatif @ the Philadelphia Live Arts Festival/Philly Fringe
Martha Graham Cracker and Eliot Levin and Kilo etc. @ the Fringe Cabaret
Lullatone and Teletextile @ Boulder Coffee [Rochester]
TV Sound @ the M Room
Aretha Franklin @ East Dell, Fairmount Pk.
Romeo + Juliet in Clark Park
Daft Punk @ Red Rocks
Spoon @ Rockefeller Park
Ponytail at Pony Pants' House
Mirah/Benjy Ferree @ the 1UC
Tortoise @ World Cafe Live
Hall & Oates...ish
"Nuclear Dreams" - Mascher Dance Group, x2
The Four of Us @ 1812
Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines by Rainpan whatever
Mascher Dance Group/Nathaniel Bartlett
Cornelius @ TLA
Sloan @ World Cafe
In Fluxxxx
Slavic Soul Party!/Red Heart the Ticker @ I-House
the Fantasticks @ Mum
Peter Bjork + Jorn/Fujiya + Miyagi @ fkaTLA
John Vanderslice @ Johnny Brendas
The Books & Todd Reynolds @ 1UC
Into the Woods @ LPAC
The Fishbowl @ the Frear
Caroline, or, Change @ the Arden
Low & Loney, Dear. @ 1UC




Sunday, October 28

My latest drug is "The Fool," this fucking ebullient song by Call and Response. It makes me the happiest person in the world. "This apartment is great!" said Joel last night. "Life is good." Never mind that I've only accomplished a fraction of the things on that to do list. I realized that I had been sort of matter-of-factly staying up until two and three every night, and waking up at eight or nine, with the sun streaming through my wall of windows. So it was probably okay that I didn't get up until 11:30 yesterday, even though our band practice was supposed to start at nine.

We didn't use Olde Club, but our "official" practice space, the basement of Lodge two, which finally came into its own, and proved itself quite appropriate. After cereal, I wandered over there to set up my drums (which had been sitting there in cases for about a month), and by two o'clock we were all assembled, with one improvised mic stand and a full complement of four amps. Chang was there playing House of Dead Dreamcast video games, to lend an air of authenticity, and the mangled spirit of Nori still found its way into the proceedings. We polished "IFA" for a while, scrapping the old verse for a more involved chord sequence (four rather than two) and got closer to the desired techno-funk groove in the dance section. "Rock Song" (which is being called "Rock Song") didn't give us too much trouble, and then we experimented with "Lullaby" for a while before taking a break.

Joel and I came back to the barn for lunch (an apple or so), I wrote some lyric fragments, and called Gabe to talk about formal stuff. Fortuitiously Jocelyn was here, so I gave him to her and he managed to talk her into free desserts. She seemed to make quite an impression. That stuff is all progressing, if slowly. Back to work, this time with Allen joining in on purpley-blue. He found a better way into the rock song, which is probably our tightest number (Radiohead tease notwithstanding), and to "Lullaby." We worked that one for a while, arguing about format. I feel that the opening A section should be considerably longer, allowing each element to fully reveal itself before the next one comes in, and so that it has a more relaxed feel. The groove is so pungent, but then the unexpected shift to 3/4 swing is just sublime. They were afraid the tune would get boring, but Jessie, Elena and Milena debunked that notion. Although the lodgemates had been apprehensive about practicing, they all popped in and bobbed their heads and goatsigned and so on: Nate, Bobby, David avec sa pétite amie. It was a good old rock and roll party. At the end we pulled out "Take-off," and I got to air some of my sillies, although the mic was so low you couldn't really hear them. Joel's bridge broke before we could get very far, but I guess we're going to try to do it tonight anyway.

I went to the opera. Plural. The first was a setting of Christopher Durang play about Naomi ("So few people are true Christians these days. I know I'm not. I'm a psychotic!") in the living room, and was quite entertaining, if the sets gave me subversive thoughts. The second, a product of Swat faculty (including Victorian Poetry prof Nathalie Anderson, who has sent me at least a dozen emails this weekend) had more exciting music, and was more musical in general, had a ridiculous premise that was essentially a half-hour set-up for one mediocre punchline. Maybe if I remembered my Mitologie Classique better I'd appreciate it more. It was worth staying for, though, and may have even been a better piece, despite its flaws.

I happily found Alana and Liza to sit next to me, and the latter followed me home, under the pretext of getting money for Roots tickets. While I assembled a quesadilla très sabrosa avec les sausage andouille (cutting my finger in the process, and improvising a bandage with kleenex and packing tape, elle made peanut butter cookies (using Skippy; she agreed to take the Crazy Richard's off our hands) which, although they came out crumbly and burned (actually, they're a little better with the sun) were fun to impress with forks. We migrated to my room for some old-style sing-a-long action, taking off from Belle and Seb (and our theme song); "Angeles," "Oh Maria," "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow," "Everyday," "Busby Berkely Dreams," "Embraceable You," "Big Yellow Taxi" (complete with triangle sample), "Free Man in Paris," "Beautiful." That stuff's so great. "Nobody writes 'em like they used to."

We pranced around a bit, and then dangled on the sofa with our books (Shakespeare and Pynchon supplanting Dickinson and Frost) and Kruder + Dorfmeister (brilliant), then "Blue Lines." I finished section three and last week's reading, leaving a scant 150 pages for Wednesday. Kabam! Rebecca came in from SQU party, and proceeded to forsake my bed for Ester's (I gather from her website that she went into the city; if not for that I'd be kind of annoyed by that old devil lack of communication.) At about three I woke up and stood in the hallway waiting for R to be out of the bathroom, pouty and asleep. Then I went back to sleep, and eventually Liza left with the money. She and I are pretty much like playmates, I guess. And it's good. Maybe there's still some of that sexual tension, but it's also partly the return to innocence thing. Eighteen till I die.

I just want you to hurt like I do
I just want you to hurt like I do
I just want you to hurt like I do
Honest I do, honest I do, honest I do