some birds are funny when they talk
corner



Fellows:

Aijung
Alyssa
Angela
Bobby
Carla
Dave
Ester
Jesse
Jonah
Josie
Kate
Lillie
Nori
Rabi
Rebecca

Mincetapes

e-mince

Photos!

Nice

Archives:

Stuck in my Head
"Kiss Me Harder" by Bertine Zetlitz
"Hot" by Avril
"Brain Problem Situation" by They Might Be Giants


Now Reading
Number 9 Dream by David Mitchell
Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage by Alice Munro

Recently Finished
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by David Eggers
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
Mad Tony and Me by Carl Hoffman
Sweet Soul Music by Peter Guaralnick
This Must Be The Place: Adventures of Talking Heads in the 20th Century by David Bowman
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Movies Lately
Sicko
4 Months 3 Weeks 2 Days
Oscar Nominated Animated Shorts
Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour
2 Days in Paris
United 93
The Savages
The Bourne Ultimatum
Sweeney Todd
The Departed
Juno
Enchanted
What Would Jesus Buy?
Ghost World
Superbad
I'm Not There
She's The Man
Superbad
Lars and the Real Girl
Romance and Cigarettes
No Country for Old Men
Into the Wild
Gattaca
I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With
Across the Universe

Shows Lately
Damo Suzuki/Stinking Lizaveta @ Mill Creek
Death and the Maiden @ Curio
Devon Sproule/Carsie Blanton/Devin Greenwood/John Francis @ Tin Angel
Assassins @ The Arden
Oakley Hall and the Teeth @ Johnny Brendas
Isabella and Flamingo/Winnebago and Map Me and Gatz and Songs of the Dragons Flying to Heaven and Sonic Dances and Strawberry Farm and The Emperor Jones and No Dice and Hearts of Man and Principles of Uncertainty and Isabella and BATCH and Addicted to Bad Ideas: Peter Lorre's 20th Century and Car and Sports Trilogy and Explanatorium and Wandering Alice and Must Don't Whip Um and Festival of Lies and A Room of Ones Own and Recitatif @ the Philadelphia Live Arts Festival/Philly Fringe
Martha Graham Cracker and Eliot Levin and Kilo etc. @ the Fringe Cabaret
Lullatone and Teletextile @ Boulder Coffee [Rochester]
TV Sound @ the M Room
Aretha Franklin @ East Dell, Fairmount Pk.
Romeo + Juliet in Clark Park
Daft Punk @ Red Rocks
Spoon @ Rockefeller Park
Ponytail at Pony Pants' House
Mirah/Benjy Ferree @ the 1UC
Tortoise @ World Cafe Live
Hall & Oates...ish
"Nuclear Dreams" - Mascher Dance Group, x2
The Four of Us @ 1812
Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines by Rainpan whatever
Mascher Dance Group/Nathaniel Bartlett
Cornelius @ TLA
Sloan @ World Cafe
In Fluxxxx
Slavic Soul Party!/Red Heart the Ticker @ I-House
the Fantasticks @ Mum
Peter Bjork + Jorn/Fujiya + Miyagi @ fkaTLA
John Vanderslice @ Johnny Brendas
The Books & Todd Reynolds @ 1UC
Into the Woods @ LPAC
The Fishbowl @ the Frear
Caroline, or, Change @ the Arden
Low & Loney, Dear. @ 1UC




Wednesday, October 24

The dark side of weblogging reared its bionic head today, as Ester's recent post churns the drama. She alluded to some details of Rebecca's personal life, in a fairly circumspect way, but it was enough to trigger tears and emotional telephone calls, and Rebecca feels quite upset and betrayed. I'm trying to stay neutral, which means I'm going to end up getting involved and arguing both sides.

My day, though, has been a delight. Pretty much. After some decent murder talk, I curled up in one of the frizzy olive chairs in parlors to read thirty-several pages of Pynchon, about pigs and pinball, a fun section. Les heures, then back here for lunch and stuff. On the way back to campus I stopped in Pearson and got a Lingusitics Department tee (long-sleeved!), which the office assistant was more than happy to give me once she had snapped my polaroid (I've had some problems with this in the past.) Pynchville was pretty good, although quite a few folks were missing. We listened to Lotion, Pynchon's favorite rock band, and I called for a small group discussion on the pig section. Christie, Kim, Marilee, Schmidt, D-Kacz rallied to the cause, although I didn't have anything in particular in mind. The latter has just started "Sotweed".

Immediately upon finishing class, I went to Marcantonio Barone's office for the semester, where he was wrapping up a lesson with a beginning student. "He's just like you, except he talks more" he said, after the student asserted that one could just as easily play an entire piece with hands crossed at the wrists. Indeed, I often struggled with a tendency to recalcitrance during our lessons last year. The conversation flowed like rubies on this occasion though. Mr. Tony treated me to the nicest meal I've had in a while, my fourth at Peking/Tokyo. I decided to go Japanese this time around, (the rule is you can have either but you can't mix), and he followed suit; we shared edamame, spinach salad, wasabi shumai, and seven types of sushi (inari, unagi, yellowtail, Spanish mackerel, avacado roll, spicy tuna roll, and some battered shrimp roll that I can't think of right now - just wanted to see if I could remember them.) On the way there I went through my favorite Philly restaurants, and on the way back we discussed the awful things driving makes us do, but the discussion during dinner was great. He's so unbelievably articulate, besides being warm and encouraging, not to mention insanely accomplished and modest about it at the same time. And he wore a napkin as a bib over his black suit and tie. I gave him a run-down on barn life and he talked about the new experience of teaching a music history class, which led to the differences between music history and science history. We got onto the topic of food: how personal tastes develop (genetics vs. cultural environment, etc.) and the implications of considering food preparation "culinary art" on the level of music or painting. This led to many fascinating food anecdotes, as well as theoretical art discussion. A treat.

On the unusual interactions with adults front, Claire Sawyers called the other day to follow up on our conversation re the fragrance garden. Actually, she called not knowing what number she was dialing, rendering Joel rather confused in the process. According to her, there was "some indication" that there had been another party in the space the week after mine. Even though nobody in the administration knew anything about that, she decided that it would be unfair to ask me and my sponsors to contribute to the extra maintenance costs. Okay, whatever.

Tony returned me to Lang a few minutes before African. Annoyingly, we didn't dance today but rather tried to make ourselves comfortable on the cold hard mexican tile as we watched "dance black america," a video of a show circa 1985 including a piece from Garth Fagan back when the Bucket was still the Bucket. It made me think of high school, since I have been in exactly the same circumstances many times in the dance studios at sota; in fact I have watched the exact same video there.

The next item on the agenda was a remarkably productive three-hour rehearsal with Jeff's band, now apparently called "The Keller Method." I won't divulge what went on at the rehearsal, since everyone reading this who is able to ought to come see the concert. Suffice to say that I am really excited for the concert now. I just have to get my other band in shape to perform. And find a costume. Oh, I've been asking people fairly randomly to tell me what to be for Halloween. Some interesting answers: a matchstick (John Fort), God (Jonah), Waldo (Alison.) Amazingly, Elizabeth Holman just e-mailed me apropos of nothing to say that she thinks I should be Waldo. Perhaps it's fated. Does anyone have a red and white striped shirt I can borrow? Or a cane?

When I returned I past a gathering of our neighbors holding a sing-a-long on the porch. Jonah, Samarah, Lizzie, Jamie, Ben, his guitar, and a copy of Rise Up Singing! I came down to join them for some "Battle of New Orleans," "Both Sides Now," "Sweet Baby James," etc. Hooray for informal music. It was really sweet. I mentioned this site, after Ester passed us and my attempts to give her a subtle warning about Rebecca's ire met with blank stares. Now that I've sorted out what to do about rehearsing tomorrow, sort of, all that's left is a bit of French nonsense before bed.

go ahead with all your sweet-talking
go ahead for all the good it can do
have yourself a dime's worth of talking
'cause then i'm gonna hang right up on you